Friday, July 18, 2008

Horseless Friday: My Houseplants

Every Friday I do a post on a horseless topic. This Friday's post is mostly photos, since my husband just reminded me that it's past my bedtime. As I've mentioned, I love houseplants. I started with house plants since I spend a lot of time inside in the dark during Vermont's winters, when I'm not riding in the dark at the barn. It all started with a couple clippings from my mother's Pothos. But now my mantel has been taken over by clippings, and I'm on the hunt for pots at yard sales this summer.

Some of my favorite houseplant resources:
*Hortiscope
*Dave's Garden
*Houseplants on Extension

African violets in my aunt's old onion soup crocks.

Fresh Wandering Jew clippings from my sister-in-law.

Cuttings of Pothos, Philodendron, Spider Plant, a Sweet Potato (from the supermarket), a variegated Spider Plant, and Ivy from my wedding bouquet. By the way, it's easy to sprout ivy from a bouquet and a nice way to save a memory. Set the end in water (you can dip it in "rooting hormone" first) and wait a week.
More cuttings and a Croton I rescued from someone's trash and a tiny jade tree sprout.
Finally my center piece, a 7ft tall Yucca. It had been growing at my local Home Depot for so long they'd discounted it because I can only assume it had eaten the other houseplants on display.
"Feed me, Seymour"

I hope you are feeling inspired to start a few little cuttings of your own. I've been learning about houseplants as I go and there have been a few -err- casualties along the way. If you have any stories, resources or tips of your own you'd like to share I'd love to read them!



No comments: