Sunday, June 29, 2008

We loop the loop

Today I rode Armani while my instructor rode Huey for his first time around our usual 3 mile road-and-trail loop. I have to admit to being a bit apprehensive about the outing starting when the weather forecast included this little nugget:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON CONTINUES THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH. 1 TO 3 INCHES OF RAIN PER HOUR ARE POSSIBLE ALONG WITH GUSTY WINDS AND DEADLY LIGHTNING.


I arrived early at the barn. It wasn't raining but it had been. Huey was inside finishing breakfast. But where is Armani? And who is that dun horse in the distance that looks like him? Oh here he comes. Armani has discovered fresh mud.

20 minutes later I had both horses cleaned and my instructor was finished teaching her morning lesson. When I saw her put on a helmet, for the first time in years, I wondered if I should be concerned... (Note, yes, I always wear mine.)

However, though I had visions of being tossed from our horses while biblical floods engulfed us, everything actually turned out just fine. The weather was quiet. We trotted most of the way around and other than not wanting to go through mud (Don't race tracks get muddy?), Huey behaved angelically. My instructor happily said he is a lot of fun and relaxing to ride.

Meanwhile, as Armani vacillated between squirmy and lethargic, she updated me on her progress with Armani's two younger brothers (They are sooooo cute, and remind me of him. It's that mischievous yet cuddly "I can has carrotz?" look. How much fun would 2 or 3 Armanis be?), and how she was also considering looking for a retirement home for his mother, with some one she knows, where she'd get extra love and attention.

Hmm, my backyard looks awfully lonely and under-utilized. My 1 year wedding anniversary is tomorrow. You don't suppose my loving and devoted husband would be amenable to discussing a third horse over anniversary dinner do you? After I adopted horse number 1 on his birthday last year? And after I have started delicately slipping "Now that I have two horses, it would be so convenient to have my own truck and trailer..." into appropriate conversations? Maybe between discussing budgeting for fuel-oil and fixing up our new home? Do you think so?

No comments: