Monday, July 6, 2009

Awards & Tags catch-up

I'm just a rider who happens to blog. It is an inverse relationship. The more I ride (summer) the less I blog, and vice versa (winter). So here is a little catch up. I certainly do appreciate everyone who notices this little blog. And I always want to say "Thank you!" and give a link back. Since I'm way behind, I won't tag anyone else. But if you'd like a tag and a link, just ask in the comments!

1) Thank you, Grey Horse Matters, for the "Honest Scrap" award!


She writes a wonderfully thoughtful blog about her's and her daughter's brood of horses. She also has a great perspective on topics of interest to the "aging rider".

2) Thank you, Behind the Bit for tagging me with the post "But enough about you..."! Stacey, a research librarian, writes about the two horses in her life, in addition to informative posts on equestrian topics. Her blog is by turns confessional, funny, and educational.

Unless you are interested in reading about me, the rest of this post might be a bit boring. It's OK if you skip reading my answers to the quizzes. Seriously, I won't cry, I'm tough! You'll come back next post, right? *sniff*

Honest Scrap Award

Ten things about me that you most likely don’t know



1) I love other animals besides horses. Particularly cats and spiders. I catch spiders in the house and release them outside - with my bare hands!
2) I am (mostly) fearless and like to try new things. But...
3) I dislike deep water. I swim poorly. And I hate getting water in my ears.
4) Despite that, I love sitting by the ocean and lakes... Just not in them.
5) I love high humidity and warm weather. Strangely, I ended up living in Vermont.
6) I stopped riding during college due to lack of funds. I only got back in the saddle a few years ago.
7) I do not have a natural seat or balance in the saddle. I'm tall, weak and top-heavy.
8) I feel like I'm more natural with horses on the ground. If I could choose only riding or interacting with horses on the ground, I'd choose the latter.
9) While in a mostly male college, I got into competitive Player-vs-Player video games. I still play occasionally.
10) I have a need to be the center of attention. I tell stories and make bawdy jokes. I dance in grocery store isles until my husband pretends he isn't with me.

"But enough about you..."



1. What are your current obsessions?

Work and horse shows.

2. Which item from your wardrobe do you wear most often?
My black Ariat brand clogs. They go with pretty much everything.

3. What's for dinner?
Ribs recipe from "Good Eats".

4. Last thing you bought?
I bought Ralph Lauren polo shirts on clearance at TJ Maxx and 3 "going out" dresses. I wear the shirts to the barn. Maybe some day I'll actually wear the dresses.

5. What are you listening to?
I listen to NPR a lot. I also listen to music on Pandora.com.

6. If you were a God/Goddess who would you be?
I'd like some super powers. Perhaps flying, talking to animals, and vanquishing my enemies. Can I get a Goddess made to order?

7. Favorite holiday spots?
As young working people, we don't have a chance to travel much. But I'll be going back to Long Beach Island, NJ this summer.

8. Reading right now?
My husband bought me Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I'll read that on the beach. I've read the original naturally.

9. Who or what makes you laugh until you are weak?
My husband, the Gram Norton show, the Daily Show and Colbert Report.

10. Who's your Hero/Heroine?
I was asked this in a job interview once. I believe I said "Madonna!" and when they looked aghast I quickly added "oh and um... my mom."

11. What's the thing that always makes you smile?
My cat, "Baby".

12. Favorite Film?
Probably the original Star Wars trilogy for the nostalgia.

13. Care to share some wisdom?
Food is meant to be eaten. Never be afraid to try new foods.

14. If you were a tree, which one would you be, and why?
I'd be a white pine. It is tall, thin, and full on top.

15. Name fictitious characters who made a lasting impression on you.
Holy from Breakfast at Tiffany's. Katharine Hepburn's character from Bringing up Baby.

16. Four words to describe yourself.
Funny, intelligent, opinionated, educated. I don't flatter myself, now do I?

5 comments:

SprinklerBandit said...

Congrats on your award, and I agree about the water. Eesh. Keep that deep stuff away.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Thanks for playing along. It was fun to learn more about you.
K. Hepburn is one of my all time favorite actresses, great pictures you dug up.
I watch the same shows too for a good laugh.
I miss the ocean myself having lived on L.I. my whole life and gone to the beaches in all seasons. I've got to get to a beach in the off season and just walk around when it's quiet. I'm not much of a swimmer either. My husband says I swim like Esther Williams in the movies (I know old movies, she was even before my time), anyway, I never get my face wet!

TM said...

I just finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I loved it...so silly.

S. Lauren said...

I think I'm like you with the college. Ever since I started my classes I've been riding less and less, many due to lack of time and that I'm broke lol. I guess once you finish it gets better right?
Also with the deep water, yeah I'm with ya on that one!

A Bay Horse said...

Yes, it gets better. :) Once I got out, saved money, and got the nerve to look up my old instructor I was rolling. Money & time are still an issue. But at least I feel like I can manage my own priorities against riding now.

Glad I'm not alone with the deep water thing. Here I was thinking I was a fruit loop!