Sunday, December 14, 2008

Horseless and iced in!

Normally I do a "horseless" post on Fridays. But this Friday I was iced in without electricity. We awoke Friday morning to about a half inch of ice coating everything; while more was layering on. Our power had gone out around 2am that morning. There were downed trees and tree limbs. My husband and I were unable to get out for work. The radio told us it would be a while before power came back.

So we drained the pipes. Then we gathered with our "girls" (our kitties) in front of the fire. Our power came back late that night. However, the power at the barn was out until Saturday night.

My husband and I were reminded of the "great ice storm" of 1998. That storm was more serious. The 1998 storm had me, like many locals, caught by surprise. I ended up trapped in my car about 10 miles from home on a dirt road.

Though inconvenient, ice storms leave a beautiful, diamond encrusted world behind.

These are photos of mine from this weekend. NOAA has this excellent site on the significant 1998 storm. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the fantastic photo gallery.

3 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Glad you got your power back. We didn't get hit as bad as you did. For some reason we lucked out with the power while most of the rest of the town was out.
Ice storms are a major pain, but the pictures are beautiful.

Dressage Nomad said...

Pretty pictures! I love winter wonderlands, they're so beautiful. I'm glad you guys survived the power outage ok!

Julia said...

OMG. I am glad I live in California where it does not snow. :) It looks lovely though.