Thursday, April 30, 2009

Money, money, money

In my humble opinion, I'm a natural saver in almost all aspects. But when it comes to horses, spending money is par-for-course. At least I crave a "good deal" above all else.


Here are some of my most recent purchases:

* My favorite place in the whole-wide-world, Sclafani's Warehouse, had gotten in an assortment of equestrian gear from an out-of-business tack shop. I love that place. You never know what you'll find and they are willing to negotiate with regular shoppers. I also enjoyed chatting up the other rummaging riders. At deep discounts I bought an extra "Shed Flower", Avocado Mist, and a stall guard. It all came to under $25.

* I got an extra pair of white breeches at my local tack shop with a 25% off coupon. Since I was on the fence, it became a 30% discount. Not too bad. You never know if you'll get muddy at a show. Naturally it seems like every time I buy "one thing", they faithfully send me a new coupon. Those sneaky people!

* I got a pair of lightly-used Ariat dress boots on eBay for $75 plus shipping. They fit well and are not even broken in yet. Normally that pair is $350+ in stores.

* I visited the Everything Equine fair. It seemed a lot smaller this year. I cannot help but wonder if that is due to the economy. I resisted the typical trade-show wares. But as a perused, I found a booth with a box of VHS tapes for $1 each! As you can imagine, I took a copy of every tape they had. It will be fun to share them with other riders too.


And I made one very large purchase... But you will have to wait for another post! Can you guess what it is?

5 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Great bargains! Wonder what the HUGE purchase is, I know they don't sell horses on ebay...

Stephanie - Siouxzeegirl Designs said...

Awesome shopping! And those tack shops sure do have a knack for knowing how to get us to keep coming back in...

As far as the large purchase... a new saddle? or do you mean physically large???

Can't wait to hear about it!

A Bay Horse said...

I know I'm in trouble when they see me come in and say "Oh Hello! And how are Armani and Huey!"

The large purchase is both physically large and expensive. But yes, it isn't a horse or saddle. And it was not purchased on eBay. :)

Stacey Kimmel-Smith said...

totally justifiable purchases. Me I'm a frivolous buyer, I'd love to own 12 halters with all different color piping.

Ky Eliza said...

A trailer?