Tuesday, November 11, 2008

US Government, BLM must revise wild horse program


From The Horse: Report: Government Must Revise Wild Horse Program
The U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) needs to consider euthanizing wild horses or selling many of them to reduce spiraling costs of keeping them in long-term holding pens, said a government report Monday. ...read the whole article


I posted about this issue a while back. The article notes that the BLM has the authority to euthanize or sell horses "without restriction" (i.e. to Mexico or Canada for slaughter for human consumption) but has not done so yet in deference to public opinion. The article notes that some other options may require Congressional approval.

So if you have a strong opinion, I suggest that you may want to contact your Congress members. You can input your zipcode here to find them. Telephone calls and mailed letters are supposedly more persuasive than emails.

If you are interested in adopting a mustang, you can view a gallery of horses available via the internet. The photo accompanying my post is of one such horse, Marilyn. The BLM also hosts in-person adoption events around the country. (Although not so much in the north-east I've noticed.) I've never owned a mustang myself. But a friend of mine was pleasantly surprised to see a mustang ribbon at a dressage show recently.

1 comment:

Grey Horse Matters said...

I've commented on this before on your previous post and sent letters to my state representative and all I got back was a form letter. The letter stated there was nothing to be done, blah, blah, blah, I just helped vote him out of office. I hope something can be done about this but it's hard when your fighting with government agencies with their own agenda. I wish I had enough room to adopt some of these poor unfortunate horses.