Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The hip bone connects to the huh?


Armani and I had a lesson earlier this week. We went back to some basics in order to work on establishing a more consistent "connection". "Connection" in my mind is one of those things that everyone feels is important, but is hard to define. I think it's kind of like the search for the perfectly uphill horse.

I've got the idea that the connection starts somewhere in my erm, butt and thigh region, and is driven forward from my abs towards the bridle. I found a rather scholarly sounding article on it here.

I borrowed this picture from sustainabledressage.com. Is it just me or does it look a little bit like a diagram of Armani's and my digestive system in reverse? Seriously, though, during our lesson I could feel a connection happening, even if I have trouble describing it. Our instructor said we looked much more consistent. But after I dismounted I ruefully observed that I was sweating more than he was.

I keep saying I'm going to start doing crunches every day again...

3 comments:

Stacey Kimmel-Smith said...

For all the reading I do, a knowledgable ground person has helped me more than anything. Good luck!

billie said...

LOL - I can sort of relate to the digestive systems in reverse idea... :)

Christine said...

Aah, connection.. I figure as long as my backside connects with the saddle or horse's back rather than the ground, all's good!

It's difficult but wonderful to know there's always a chance to improve ourselves as riders... good luck!